You might have heard about identity theft, but you have not gone into its details thinking it cannot happen to you. In reality, everyone is prone to become the victims of identity theft. The criminal would act as you and steal money or other benefits at your cost. This can lead to a number of penalties on the person whose identity has been stolen. If you do not want to become a victim of identity theft, you need to know how to prevent it.
In order to prevent identity theft, here are the five basic steps that you need to follow –
- The first thing you need to do is secure your PIN numbers, especially that of ATMs. You need to memorize your PIN and avoid writing it somewhere from where it can be easily stolen.
- All unused loan applications, receipts and other documents that contain your personal information should be shredded before throwing it away. Most identity thieves will look through your garbage to find your personal information.
- You need to make sure that you get a copy of your credit report from your bank on a regular basis. This will help you identify any error or fraudulent activity so that it can be reported to the bank immediately.
- In case you have your credit cards, ATM cards or other valuable items stolen, you need to report it to the authorities or the bank immediately to prevent anyone from making use of them.
- Never allow mails to sit in your mailbox and get them regularly. If you stop receiving mails, you need to report it to the post office immediately if you are expecting any. Many criminals will use these mails to get your personal information.
In spite of taking all precautions, one might become a victim of identity theft. Thus, one needs to make sure that they are taking all precautions or have identity guard review on their computers to track down these criminals.